So, lately, I’ve been going baller and actually paying (Japanese and Chinese) human beings to record themselves reading books aloud for me in one take (mistakes and all) — creating my own “private audiobooks”, if you will. The reasons for this are many:
- I hate normal TV and even normal radio; it was fun when it was fun, but more and more it feels like psychological pollution
- I don’t always have the time/energy/motivation to re-read a book, even though some books are worth re-reading.
- It keeps me away from English-language audiobooks
- The Internet doesn’t always cut it. 実況プレイ videos are good fun, far better and funnier than most professionally produced content, but there’s only going to be so much intellectual development from watching people play games that other people made 😀
- We humans have chosen to hide the greater part of our best knowledge and wisdom in books. I want access to that knowledge and wisdom, but I’m also lazy — I want things to be effortless. I want to quote Latin like a saint’s maid: unconscious learning, positive brainwashing.
- Audiobooks are hands-free!
Anyway, for obvious reasons, I don’t think I can simply give you my full audiobooks (even though I want to), but what I can do is put up excerpts. Of which this is one.